A classic Italian dessert , this dish melts in the mouth and is super easy to make! Another lesson learnt in Tuscany… [Shails]
For 4 people (4 ramekins)
- 2 Fresh Eggs
- 10 Sponge Fingers (Savoiardi Biscuits)
- 1/2 cup Strong Black Coffee
- 250g Mascarpone Cheese
- 40g Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp Rum/Brandy (optional)
- Cocoa Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Add a drop of Vanilla and Brandy/Rum to the Coffee.
- Separate eggs and add a pinch of salt to the egg whites. Beat the egg whites using a electric beater.
- Add 1/3 sugar to the egg whites and beat until stiff.
- Add 2/3 sugar to the yolks and whisk until a lighter yellow.
- Add the mascarpone to the yolks and whisk.
- Fold in the egg whites to the yolks, one spatula at a time.
- In each Ramekin, layer biscuits dipped in coffee (2-3seconds dipping), egg mixture and a sprinkle of Cocoa. Repeat the layering.
- Let these stand in the fridge for at least 20 minutes and up to 24 hours. For a frozen treat, put them in the freezer for Tiramisu ice-cream!